Friday, August 19, 2016

Packing for college... Only 4 more days! How I came to attend SVU

Okay, so I can barely contain my excitement right now! I am packing up my room to move to Buena Vista, Virginia to attend the school of my dreams!
 


Many people have considered Southern Virginia University because of the high number of LDS students that attend, but when they see the price tag they decide to opt for something cheaper. At first I was a little worried about the cost as well, but after some careful planning and saving I am now at a position where I can go with confidence.


Scholarships are key with any college education. SVU will award you an academic scholarship upon acceptance depending on your current GPA. This scholarships usually ranges between $2000-$6000 per year. I received my academic scholarship, plus a returned missionary grant of $1500, and that set me in the right path.


I had saved up some money since I was little for college, but that amount wasn't astronomical, so I got home from my mission in March 2016 and immediately applied for two jobs, both of which I got! I nearly lost all my sanity working at a 100 degree dry cleaners in the early hours and then worked evening hours at a local college cafeteria, but I was able to earn a good income in a short 5-month period.


The tuition itself isn't the only expense you will have at SVU. Housing and meals are also a huge part of the ticket price. As a 21-year old and a returned missionary I am eligible for off-campus housing. On the SVU website there are several houses listed for rent for students during the academic year, many of which are much cheaper than on-campus housing. An added bonus of off-campus housing is that I will be in charge of my own meals and costs.


My current weekly budget for food is $25. Hopefully I can get by with less than that, because my parents have taught me the value of food storage. I will probably be eating lots of oatmeal and canned chicken over the next few years, but honestly I'm not worried about that. I'm more worried about getting the education that I want and need while gaining new experiences and friends.


CLOTHING-- When I got home from my mission I only had a few raggedy skirts and dresses. I knew I was going to college, so I needed a tight budget on getting fashionable clothing. In my town of Maryville, TN there is a Habitat for Humanity ReStore, which is a consignment shop that has clothes for $1 (Some days they have them on sale for $0.25!) and several other household items for super cheap. Below you can see my boxes of clothes that I'm taking with me. Nearly every piece in those boxes was bought for $1 or less, and a lot of it has name brand labels.
(Converse, NorthFace, American Eagle, Aeropostal, etc.)




Oh, and my mom got me the boxes from the grocery store... They will usually let you take used cardboard boxes for free. That's why I have a bunch of toilet paper boxes :)


So yeah, my room is a mess right now.

Another way I am making this year more affordable is that I won't have a car. I have a bike, which will save even more money on gas, repairs AND I get done with my exercise at the same time! :) I have a pack attached to the back of my bike to allow me to pack in extra clothes for work or whatever I may need. I will get you a pic as soon as possible, but my bike is currently at the shop getting a tune up.

Ugh, I don't have enough time! I'll get back to you soon with more details!
~Krislee



No comments:

Post a Comment