Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Class Schedule, Homework, and a Visit from an Apostle of the Lord

Wow, I've already been here for nearly a month! Sorry I've been so bad about keeping things up-to-date, but life is fun and crazy!

So as you know, I'm living off-campus in a little basement with 3 other girls. My roommate is Lisa, who I've known since my young women days in Knoxville. It's been really fun! Our other two housemates are Kat and Abby, who are super fun.

Everyone here on campus is super nice! It's wonderful to be in an environment where I can just walk up to someone I've never met before and start a friendly conversation. We are all family here, professors included :) The class sizes are small (about 15-25 students), which allows the professors and students to get to know everyone better. I've had professors come up to me and ask me how my homework assignments are going and they always remember my specific concern or struggle, which is yet another proof of their sincere concern for me and my success as a student.

There is always something fun going on at campus! Many weekends they will have an out-door movie night in front of Main Hall, where everyone gathers on the grass with friends to watch a good movie. They also provide popcorn and water and have vendors where you can buy drinks and snow cones. They also have several dances and social gatherings.

I am currently active in the Irish dance club, which has been a goal of mine all year. I love Irish dance and music, and have always wanted to learn, and now I have the chance to learn for free! It's just one of many fun clubs on campus, and students are given the opportunity to create their own clubs. 80% of all students here on campus are involved in extra-curricular activities, which is phenominal! There is a place for everybody.

So this semester am taking a bunch of "knock-out" courses, meaning that I'm simply getting some graduation requirement courses out of the way... It's all fun and fine, but let me tell you, there is a LOT of reading. Here's a sample of my schedule...

Chemistry Today: 8am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with a weekly lab on Tuesday
Reason and the Self: 10am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Creative Writing: 11 am on Monday and Wednesday

America and the Enlightenment: 12:30pm on Tuesday and Thursday
Classics of Western Literature: 2:00pm on Tuesday and Thursday

Reason and the Self with Professor Armstrong is a philosophy course that will REALLY stretch your mind and the way you think. The reading is fairly light, but be sure to pay attention!
America and the Enlightenment with Dr. Knight is a heavy reading course, most of which is printed off of MySVU, which requires us to pay for the copies in the library. It's 5 cents a page, which can get kinda expensive when you have a 20 page packet. Other than that it's a wonderful course that I really enjoy!
Classics of Western Literature with Professor Lambert is heavy reading but very enjoyable, and we always discuss everything in detail the following class period. We just finished reading Homer's The Odyssey, one of my favorites. Currently we are reading Oedipus Rex.

Last Friday I was in my chemistry class when a special guest walked in... Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles stood in the doorway in his exercise clothes and a huge smile on his face! He was here for the weekend to celebrate SVU's 20th anniversary. The First Presidency assigned him here, which is a great blessing. He is so loving and cares for each of us. The bell tower on Main Hall was playing hymns for a half hour to welcome him in. It was truly an amazing thing to spend time with him and to hear his counsel to our beautiful university.

So, overall I am LOVING it here! There are always challenges in good things, but I know that I am here for a purpose and that I will emerge a better person. The environment is so spiritual and is conducive to learning.
This is just a little peek into my life at SVU... stay tuned for more!!
 My roommate and I ride our bikes to campus! Yay for fitness and thriftiness!
We had a fondue party for Kat's birthday! Yummy cheddar with French bread, broccoli, pretzels and hot wings! We also did a dessert fondue with chocolate, strawberries, apples and marshmallows!

No comments:

Post a Comment